The intangible desire to explore and challenge the boundaries of what we know and where we have been has provided exponential benefits to our society for centuries, enriching our lives and bringing humanity closer together.
“The vast stretches of the unknown and the unanswered and the unfinished still far outstrip our collective comprehension.”
– John F. Kennedy, 1962
Accepting the challenge of going deeper into space will invite the citizens of the world today and the generations of tomorrow to join NASA on this exciting journey.
Deep space exploration will:
- Captivate the human imagination, uplifting humanity and inspiring generations for decades to come.
- Inspire us to seek knowledge — through scientific discovery, we increase our understanding of the world and how to make it better.
- Contribute to the economy through economic growth – fueling the creation of new industries, job growth and the demand for a highly skilled workforce.
- Is a catalyst to a better life on Earth – advancing American leadership and creating a path for peace, diplomacy and global cooperation.
- Grow our capabilities to break the bounds of being Earth reliant to become Earth independent.
Our commitment to pioneering new discoveries is vital to advancing U.S. leadership – in science, technology, the economy, defense and diplomacy.
NASA’s bold new mission is to design and build capabilities needed to extend human existence to Deep Space.